Procedure to create a Group to extend your lights, synch them or create a light scene
Applies to Twinkly Generation I and Generation II devices, Twinkly PRO and Twinkly Plus.
[see important notes at the end of the article for eventual limitations]
Grouping is the feature that shapes Twinkly magic!
Just a click on your app is all you need to let all your devices dance together in the magic of Twinkly!
You can join them to work as one, sync them to reach a perfect scenario for your effects, or even set as a big scene, you just have to set up the stage, Twinkly will bring you the show!
Brief Grouping features overview
Twinkly lights can be virtually joined via the app, in order to have multiple devices working together. This allows you to get extended lighting effects on the same object or objects in some distance between them.
It is not possible to create Twinkly groups with different LED profiles (the type of LED must be the same: RGB only with RGB, RGBW only with RGBW, RBW only with RBW, AWW only with AWW).
Moreover, to create a group of Twinkly, you need to connect each Twinkly to the local Wi-Fi network and ensure your smartphone joins the same network too.
After configuring your first Twinkly, you can add a new device immediately after, following the wizard.
Alternatively, access the “Devices” menu and click on “+” to add another Device. The onboarding procedure will restart from the beginning, guiding you through the configuration of the new device.
Creating a group
To create your Group, follow these steps:
Open the app and open the “Devices” menu
Tap on the link icon on the top right corner of the screen to choose what kind of group to create
Select the kind of group you chose
Select the devices you want to join in a group
Name your Group as you prefer (it will be useful to distinguish them later on)
- Groups behave as individual devices. You can find them in the device list and they have a status icon. The icon is green if all the devices that are part of the group are on and correctly connected.
- If the group status icon is gray it means that one or more devices within the group are switched off or disconnected.
- Grouped items can’t be controlled individually by Alexa and Google Assistant.
Join Groups make your single devices act like a great big Twinkly
- They extend the number of available lights up to the sum of led lights on each Twinkly
- They have a group layout
- They can be mapped as a single device
- Once you've mapped all your lights in your group, you’ll be able to apply basic and advanced effects to it.
- Usually Join groups are mostly used to make several devices act like a bigger one on a setting, for example, a x-mas tree.
Follow the step by step procedure for Join Groups
Sync Groups allow the simultaneous application of the effects on all the Twinkly that are part of the group
- They extend the number of available lights up to the sum of led lights on each Twinkly.
- Each Twinkly keeps its basic layout, even if it has been mapped.
- Sync Groups cannot be mapped as a single device.
Follow the step by step procedure for Sync Groups
Area Groups to arrange your lights in extended scenarios
When creating an "Area " group, you can three possible options:
- The Camera Mapping: allows you to map the devices on your scene with your smartphone (only 2D)
- Horizontal tiles (for iOS only): with this option, you can create a new layout automatically, with all your devices tiled with horizontal alignment.
- Vertical tiles (for iOS only): dedicated to vertical installation.
Follow the step by step procedure for Area Groups
- For Generation I: You can group up to 2000 LEDs or 5 devices – with good Wi-Fi coverage
- For Generation II: You can group up to 4000 LEDs or 10 devices – with good Wi-Fi coverage
- The first edition of Generation 1 Strings and Festoons in the 2019 and 2020 ones, which have been discontinued, could connect to the main set or starter kit, add-ons, called extensions for Festoon, to increase the number of LEDs of your layout.
With the grouping function, this wasn’t necessary anymore, as you can simply add another device, and extend your creation by simply grouping them, and you can even choose what kind of scene you want to obtain, creating the group that gives the final output you want to obtain.
- Home Range products can be grouped among themselves with all three kinds of group, while if you want to group them with another RGB Twinkly product, you can use the Area group, in order to create an extended scenario of all your light settings
You can group Twinkly Generation I devices and Twinkly Generation II devices, but they must have the same LED profile.
Generation I can be RGB and RBW, while Generation II can be RGB, RGBW, and AWW
Please be sure to purchase only lights with the same LED profile
Not found what you were looking for? Contact us.