Twinkly Direct Wi-Fi Connection procedure
Applies to Twinkly Generation I and Generation II devices and Twinkly Plus.
Each Twinkly device can develop its own Wi-Fi signal allowing you to control it from your smartphone.
Direct connection is available both for Generation I and Generation II devices.
- Check that Wi-Fi networks are activated on your smartphone.
- Go to your smartphone Wi-Fi settings
- Check the list of available local Wi-Fi networks.
- Scroll down through the list and select the network emitted by your Twinkly device, showing as “Twinkly_XXXXXX”.
- That’s your Twinkly! Select this network and wait until the connection is established.
Only for Generation II
Type the Twinkly Wi-fi password: Twinkly2019
Now the Twinkly app can find your Twinkly.
Access the effects gallery to try them all, edit the preset effects or create new ones from scratch.
At this moment you have a direct connection between your smartphone and your Twinkly device.
On the controller, you can see a steady, green light.
No internet connection is available in this status.
To check if your device is directly connected, see Network voice in your device's details as below.
Please note that if your Twinkly has been connected at least once to your home Wi-Fi router, the Twinkly network will no longer be listed among those available on your phone.
In this case, you have to follow the reset procedure to connect to your Twinkly network first.
Reverting your device to factory settings, you will find your Twinkly network available again!
Generation I: Connect your Twinkly in Direct mode
Generation II: connect your Twinkly in Direct mode
Twinkly direct connection allows you to:
- Apply Effects
you can apply, edit and create new effects.
- Mapping your LEDs (only 2D mode)
Once placed the lights are on your tree, access the “Layout” menu to create new layouts through the mapping. This procedure allows the app to understand where the LEDs are located and give the right input to the lights to get perfect effects on custom shapes.
- Rename your Twinkly
You can rename your Twinkly now. This way, if in the future you should add other devices, it will be a lot easier to identify them.
To manage more than one Twinkly from the same smartphone and to access the internet while using Twinkly, you need to manually link them to a local Wi-Fi network.
Moreover, when Twinkly is connected to the Wi-Fi network, you can create Twinkly groups and control Twinkly remotely using devices like Google Home.
Remember that, if you want to downloads new effects, you have to be connected to a local Wi-Fi, as Twinkly direct one, doesn't access the internet!
- According to the recent California Law, the default password needs to be changed after the first use, to avoid other people taking control of the lights. Once the direct connection password (default Twinkly2019) is changed, the user will be disconnected, and will have to go to mobile device settings to select the Twinkly_xxxxxx Wi-Fi again, set the new password, and, once connected, open the app again. Remember that if you reset your device, next time you will access the Twinkly_XXXX network you will have to re-enter the old Twinkly2019 password (and then change it)
- Once the Wi-Fi connection between your Twinkly and your home router is established, Twinkly will run independently from your Smartphone.
Not found what you were looking for? Contact us.